Early Years Foundation Stage
“Every child deserves the best possible start in life and support to fulfil their potential. A child’s experience in the early years has a major impact on their future life chances. A secure, safe and happy childhood is important in its own right, and it provides the foundation for children to make the most of their abilities and talents as they grow up.”
“Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage”, Department for Children, Schools and Families, (2007)
At Smithdown, we ensure the best possible start for children by:
- Inspiring children through an imaginative and immersive curriculum, ensuring that the children are happy and enthusiastic to learn, that we foster and nurture the children’s imagination and curiosity
- Providing a happy, safe, stimulating and challenging programme of learning and development for the children to experience as they begin their journey through school.
- Providing a broad, balanced, relevant and creative curriculum that will set in place firm foundations for further learning and development in Key Stage 1 and beyond and enable choice and decision making, fostering independence and self-confidence.
- Using and valuing what each child can do, assessing their individual needs and helping each child to progress.
- Developing excellent relationships with parents and carers to build a strong partnership in supporting their children.
- Providing a caring and inclusive learning environment which is sensitive to the requirements of the individual child including those who have additional needs.